Denibi S/S 2018

By Ali Webb, Staff Writer

Upon being seated in a sun-filled, waterside space at Pier 59 Studios, guests of Denibi discovered a poem. The ode to the fashion house’s Barcelona roots concluded, “I shared with you my visions and you gave me your heart, many cities in the universe but you are a unique piece of art.” It was a creative choice to explain Fadel Denibi’s Spring/Summer 2018 concept while promoting an end-of-summer nostalgia.

Clothing was bright and playful to accompany the sunny venue and theme, with heavy experimentation with structure as well as a healthy dose of white. The creative shapes, in addition to giving looks an artful personality, were a reference to aerial views of Barcelona’s octagonal landscape. Architectural freedom is a recurring inspiration for Denibi and its inclusion gave the clothes a high-end, celebratory aesthetic.

Models had a cruise-chic beauty image, sporting wavy hair with half-up braids, natural but glowing makeup and bright statement jewelry. Shoes comprised of stilettos in a range of shades – a perfect complement to the classy, structured pieces. Some looks included colorful bags, a standout of which was a baby blue backpack featuring one of Denibi’s signature abstract faces.

The most interesting creations were those that went furthest with structure play. One of these was a white, full-skirted dress with pockets, pleating and a pointed, asymmetrical extension of fabric above one shoulder. The piece showed the magic possible when designers get fearlessly creative, and would look amazing at an art gallery premiere or fashion week after party.

Denibi is still a fairly new brand, but the evident liveliness in this latest collection shows promise for increasing success in years to come. The designer has a solid grasp on integrating hometown pride and an interest in architecture to create unique pieces that both celebrate and innovate. Denibi’s strong identity is surely one to watch.

Email Ali Webb at [email protected]

About the Photographer
Echo Chen, Multimedia Editor
Echo Chen is the Multimedia Editor at the Washington Square News. She is a freshman in Gallatin studying visual storytelling, sprung from her love of painting, photography, film and, above all else, people! She is a fierce defender of her home state New Jersey, a plant mom and a lover of coffee, sweetgreen and animated...