Libertine S/S 2018

Anubhuti Kumar, Contributing Writer

Before designer Johnson Hartig’s Libertine Spring/Summer 2018 show even started, the dance-inducing music and cool, youthful energy in the room made it feel like, should the lights turn down, the runway would quickly transform into a club. The commencement of the show only heightened these vibes.

Nearly every look – men’s and women’s – was dominated by sequins. The bright and funky designs included everything from a bomber jacket with sequined rainbow stripes and Libertine’s signature-all seeing eye across the front to a floor-length mermaid silhouette dress with an under-the-sea palette of teal, purple and golden sequins covering every inch. Many of the looks were topped off with pirate hats, giving the summery collection the impression that it belonged on a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean. This worked for the collection – it was as ethereal as the mermaid creatures that seemed to inspire multiple pieces.

As the show ended and the models made their final walk, both the music and the models stopped. When the music popped back on, the models danced the rest of their way down and back up the runway, fulfilling the fun, party-at-any-moment anticipation the designer built up throughout the show. For Libertine S/S 2018, it was clear that youth, freedom and spontaneity reigned.  

Email Anubhuti Kumar at [email protected].