Staff Recs: Best Childhood Halloween Costumes

WSN+staff+talks+about+their+best+Halloween+childhood+costumes+ranging+from+Tigger+to+being+a+washing+machine.+
WSN staff talks about their best Halloween childhood costumes ranging from Tigger to being a washing machine.

Courtesy of Abigail Weinberg

Courtesy of Abigail Weinberg

Tigger

In my memories of “Winnie the Pooh,” my favorite character was Piglet. But, I totally rocked the socks off of this Tigger onesie at age two, and I don’t regret it. Besides, Piglet may have been my favorite, but Tigger had the best catchphrases.

— Hailey Nuthals, Editor-at-Large

Witch

As much as I’d like to say I’m a creative person, I was super boring as a kid and only did the most normal costumes for Halloween. However, I still went all out on these ridiculously average costume ideas. One of my favorites was my witch costume. I wore this black dress with purple gauzy sleeves, and I thought I was the most stylish kid in the neighborhood. I also had a terrible excuse for a broom — it was literally a black plastic stick with black and silver streamers, and I didn’t even pretend to fly on it. I guess you could say I was the most predictable kid on the block.

— Natasha Roy, Assistant Managing Editor

Table

When I was in fourth grade, I had the genius idea of being a table for Halloween. I still have no idea where this came from, but I was hellbent on making it happen. Done with my over-the-top ideas, my mom made me do it all myself. I wonder what the man at Target thought about the 10-year-old who scootered over to the store alone to buy a tablecloth and a sombrero. I spent a ridiculous number of hours making it, and bumped into twice as many people. It was a hit, though, and my fourth grade ego soared. I guess I stuck with household items after that. In middle school I came in as a shower one year and a lamp the next.

— Laura Shkouratoff, Creative Director

Washing Machine

My childhood Halloween costumes were pretty standard: ghost, witch, devil, etc. My best friend, however, was and continues to be more clever than me and opted to be a washing machine. The giant cardboard box she walked around in seemed to have inhibited her mobility, but the glued-on bubbles and the hand-drawn dials turned a standard household appliance into a brilliant and convincing costume. Caroline: if you’re reading this, I want you to know that you were wise beyond your years.

— Abigail Weinberg, Editor-in-Chief

Email the arts desk at [email protected]

About the Writers
Hailey Nuthals, Editor-at-Large
Hailey Nuthals has done so much at WSN that she’s not really sure what she’s supposed to be doing there anymore. Mostly, she writes for arts and offers her opinion on just about anything. If she’s not in the WSN office, she’s probably writing or working somewhere else, or falling into deep rabbit holes of...
Natasha Roy, Managing Editor-at-Large
Natasha is a CAS sophomore studying journalism and public policy, and she’s an editor-at-large at WSN this semester. Originally from a small town outside Dallas, Texas, she moved to an even smaller town outside Atlanta, Georgia when she was nine (and she’ll absolutely force country music on you if you give her an inch). She’s...
Laura Shkouratoff, Creative Director
Laura is WSN’s local California Surfer stereotype and makes up half of the paper’s design team. She’s a junior studying Education Policy in Steinhardt — don’t ask her how she got here (and decided to stay at WSN for two years). Laura spends her time stress-baking vegan food, smelling things at Lush and quoting the...