Nothing Mid-iocre About It

Besides+being+home+to+the+Empire+State+Building+and+Times+Square%2C+midtown+is+also+where+Central+Park+starts+as+it+stretches+north+for+the+next+50+blocks.+

Katie Peurrung

Besides being home to the Empire State Building and Times Square, midtown is also where Central Park starts as it stretches north for the next 50 blocks.

Liv Chai, Staff Writer

As the ultimate tourist destination, Midtown truly can be a busy, can-barely-move area of the city. With Times Square, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and Grand Central Terminal, just to name a few landmarks, Midtown is filled with places that have fundamentally defined New York City on postcards and in movies. Even though you’re no longer a tourist, you can still enjoy some lesser-known attractions in Midtown.

The Museum of Art and Design, located on Columbus Circle, will satisfy your cravings for creative energy. A smaller museum, MAD is perfect for a day trip. You’ll be able to soak in contemporary as well as historical pieces of art with its intriguing exhibitions. Currently on display is an interactive exhibit, “Sonic Arcade: Shaping Space with Sound,” which explores how sounds allow us to experience spaces.

After a long day of exploring, you can’t forget food, so check out Urbanspace Vanderbilt to satisfy your craving.You’ll finally be able to get your hands on Ippudo ramen and stuff your face with griddle-smashed burgers while clutching an overflowing taco at this diverse food hall.

If you’re sick and tired of studying at Bobst and really want to treat yourself for studying for a test the following morning, check out Ground Central Coffee Company. Other than its punny name, the coffee shop has the comfiest couches and a full menu in addition to an exquisite coffee selection.

In addition to the New York Public Library, Morgan Library & Museum is an excellent spot to unearth your inner bookworm. The stunning library was built for legendary financier Pierpont Morgan to hold his private collection of different rare books and antiques. Today the Morgan serves as a place for concerts and different speakers, as well as a museum. Currently “Charles Dickens and the Spirit of Christmas” is on display until February, so feel free to get in the holiday spirit even after Christmas is over.

Unleash your inner DIY guru and head on over to the Garments District for some supplies. The endless stores filled with lush fabrics and quirky patches will be enough to jazz up your wardrobe. If you some inspiration, plan a visit to The Museum at FIT. Admission is free, so you’ll be able to splurge on lavish silks afterwards.

Upset that you didn’t get the letter from Hogwarts? Fear not: Tannen’s Magic Store will be there for you. Famous magicians have hailed this oldest magic shop in the city as their go-to place for their magic needs. If you ask, one of the workers will demonstrate the tricks behind each curious knick-knack, so feel free to be curious.

For another food option, head over to the Parker Meridien Hotel. No need to ring for room service: go through a curtain in the lobby to find yourself at the Burger Joint. The secretive burger place offers the classics from milkshakes to endless topping combinations for that perfect cheeseburger.

Don’t let the flock of tourists repel you from checking out Midtown; allow yourself to appreciate it and bask in the fun mix of things the iconic district has to offer.

Email Liv Chai at [email protected].