Weekly Sports Update: Nov. 19 to Nov. 25

via gonyuathletics.com

SPS sophomore Cassidy Fontana scored six points for the women’s basketball team in a match against SUNY Oneonta on Nov. 26.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

After a tight, scoreless match, NYU women’s soccer fell short in tiebreaker penalty kicks at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Division III Championship against Springfield College on Sunday, Nov. 19 at Springfield College. Tandon sophomore and goalkeeper Sophia Danielson kept the ball out of the net for the full 110 minutes of regular and overtime play. However, in the penalty kick shootout, Danielson was unable to defend the net any longer, allowing all three of the well-placed shots into the goal. NYU was less fortunate and failed to make contact with the net in any of the team’s three opportunities.

During the match, CAS sophomore Alex Benedict carried the offense, taking seven shots, while GLS sophomore Isabelle Turner took five. Seven of the shots taken were on goal, only to be saved by Springfield’s goalkeeper. The Violets outshot the opposing team, which only placed four shots on goal.

This game concluded the Violets’ 2017 season. Due to their performances during the tournament, Benedict, CAS junior Maddie Pena and CAS sophomore Maddie Howard were each named to the ECAC All-Tournament Team.

Wrestling

The wrestling team competed at the New York State Intercollegiate Championships on Sunday, Nov. 19, at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. The Violets finished ninth out of 23 teams, competing against Division I schools like host team Cornell, Army Prep and Ithaca College.

Individually, SPS junior and captain Raymond Jazikoff won four bouts on the day and finished in third place in the 157-pound bracket.

Women’s Basketball

NYU women’s basketball dominated in its game against John Jay College on Saturday, Nov. 25 at The Doghouse on the west side of Manhattan. The Violets scored the first 23 points of the game, gaining a comfortable lead and giving the coaches the opportunity to play 19 members of their roster. Additionally, nursing freshman Katie Foos made her collegiate debut. Foos led the team in scoring, racking up 18 points for NYU by hitting six shots from three-point range. The final score at the buzzer was 101-35, showing the team’s promise for the rest of the season.

Men’s Basketball

NYU men’s basketball earned a victory in its first away game of the season against host Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts on Saturday, Nov. 25 in North Adams, Massachusetts. The Violets were ahead for the majority of the game, ending with a final score of 97-71. CAS junior Ethan Feldman led the Violets’ scoring with 25 points, followed closely by CAS sophomore Dom Cristiano, who posted 23 points for NYU.

The Violets hope to earn a second victory on the road on Monday, Nov. 27 when the team faces Brooklyn college in Brooklyn.

Disclaimer: Maddie Howard is the Washington Square News
Sports Editor. 

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 27 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected]