Exploring the Edge of Central Park

Katie Peurrung

Central Park is home to a plethora of different spots, offering places such as The Plaza Food Hall across the street south of the park.

Liv Chai, Staff Writer

If after casually strolling the whole 2.5 mile loop of Central Park you find yourself not dying of hunger or exhaustion and want to explore even more, we have the perfect spots for you. Scope out these interesting locations outside of the first landscaped public park in the United States.

Change the scenery around completely and find yourself right where a certain little girl with a pink bow on top of her hair, tiny dog Weenie and turtle Skipperdee would find themselves — at the Plaza Hotel. If you’re not spending the night at the luxurious hotel, feel free to eat your way through The Plaza Food Hall. Not only is it a marvelous place to simply meander around and marvel at its beautiful displays, the food hall has eats that’ll satisfy every one of your cravings. As the Plaza Hotel calls it, it’s a “food hall oasis” serving everything from Chi Dumpling & Noodles to Doughnuttery.

If you haven’t already done so, make sure to stop by Robert Indiana’s two very iconic sculptures. The LOVE sculpture started off with Indiana’s belief that “the word is an appropriated and usable element of art.” His HOPE sculptures were made in 2009 with the “O” purposely tilted to remind us to “look forward to the promise of a better, more peaceful future,” as the Hope Day website explains. These iconic installations are the perfect place to take a quick Instagram, so make sure to see them in person and snag that photo opportunity.

New York City has many historical artifacts to see, and at the top of that list should be the five pieces of the Berlin Wall installed throughout the city. Many of the pieces from the dismantled wall were recycled to rebuild the war-stricken country, but hundreds of the broken sections were auctioned off and preserved. The piece closest to Central Park is located inside the lobby of 520 Madison Avenue to prevent it from further decay, and the building is open seven days a week for viewing.

Studio 54 used to be the place to visit for a rowdy night out in the wild ‘70s. A highly selective and glamorous nightclub where Bianca Jagger celebrated her 30th birthday in 1975 and had a grand entrance riding a white horse has since become a theater for the public.

If you’re a foreign film connoisseur, look no further than The Paris Theater. This historic cinema is the last single-screen movie theater in the United States with a classic Hollywood-style interior. “Call Me By Your Name,” a gay romance with rave reviews, is currently showing.

To top it all off, there is no better way to soak up the extravagance of this New York City neighborhood than to experience the Russian Tea Room. The 90-year-old restaurant was founded by Russian Imperial Ballet members and has been the place for elites from celebrities to politicians. While some might say that the Russian Tea Room is only worth it for their full luxurious brunch, but actually the restaurant has quite a lot to offer other than its pricy tea time. But, if you’re feeling posh and want an entire experience with your meal, saunter on over.

Central Park may be the ultimate destination, but if you explore a bit outside the lush greenery, you’ll be able to visit these unique sights.

Email Liv Chai at [email protected].