Department of Health Finds Rat Droppings in Lipton Dining Hall

Miranda Levingston, News Editor

Lipton Dining Hall received 39 points from a Nov. 14 inspection conducted by the New York City Department of Health. The critical violations of the Health Department’s Code of Sanitation includes evidence of mice, filth flies and hot food held at less than 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

The 39 points earn Lipton a C grade, though the official grade is still pending as restaurants can challenge violations and grades and the appeal may still be in the process of being adjudicated.

Restaurants with a score between 0 and 13 points earn an A, those with 14 to 27 points receive a B and those with 28 or more a C, according to the DOH.

According to the Health Department, a restaurant is allotted two chances each inspection cycle to earn an A. If a restaurant does not receive an A on the first try, the restaurant receives a grade-pending card which the restaurant is required to display to their patrons. Lipton was first inspected on Nov. 3 and received 24 points, which is slightly better than the most recent score of 39.

“If the grade is a B or C, the restaurant will receive a grade card and a grade pending card,” the Health Department’s website said. “It can post either card until it has an opportunity to be heard at the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings Health Tribunal.”

The dining hall is listed as ‘Not Yet Graded’ on the Health Department’s website with its current violation points available.

Some students were surprised by the results.

“[Lipton] seems like the healthiest dining hall,” Steinhardt freshman Gelia Brador said. “That’s their brand, kind of. It’s too bad that they got such a bad rating, but it’s kind of one of the only options — dining halls for freshman are basically just here, Weinstein or Palladium, both of which are really far.”  

The Lipton Dining Hall manager Steven Lemay was unavailable for comment.

Correction Dec. 1

The original headline said that the Department of Health found rats in Lipton dining hall, which is incorrect because only rat droppings were found during the time of inspection. The new headline has been updated to reflect this.

Email Miranda Levingston at [email protected].