Weekly Sports Update: Nov. 27 to Dec. 2

Via gonyuathletics.com

CAS junior Grace Wakabayashi placed second for the women’s swim team in a 1,650-yard freestyle event at MIT’s winter invitational on Dec. 1.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball

On Monday, Nov. 27, NYU men’s basketball defeated host Brooklyn College at the West Quad Center in Brooklyn.

NYU was leading 31-28 after the first 20 minutes, but Brooklyn came back to tie the game up at 34. However, the Violets bounced back and scored 12 more points in order to secure a lead of 46-37. They kept their lead until the end of the game, with a final score of 74-64.

Silver sophomore Jimmy Martinelli led in scoring and rebounds, with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

The team was less fortunate on Saturday, Dec. 2 when they played Medgar Evers College, and lost 79-77 in Brooklyn.

At halftime, the team trailed behind 32-39, but came back with a 7-0 run at the beginning of the second half. However, the Violets fell back once more and were outscored 25-11 in the final six minutes of the game.

CAS junior Douglas Gertner led NYU in scoring for this game with his 19 points.

The Violets will play at home on Thursday, Dec. 7 against the College of New Rochelle.

Women’s Basketball

Women’s basketball struggled to finish strong in its game against the College of Staten Island, pulling up short with a score of 65-62, on Wednesday, Nov. 29, at the Sportsplex in Manhattan.

SPS graduate student Kaitlyn Read was NYU’s leading scorer for the fifth time in six games this season. She finished with 16 points, eight rebounds and six assists.

The team bounced back on Saturday, Dec. 2 when it traveled south to Lexington, Virginia and collected a 77-53 victory from Washington and Lee University.

CAS senior Kayla Patterson scored 19 points and secured 11 rebounds to bring the Violets to victory and bump them up to a 4-3 record.

The Violets will play again on Tuesday, Dec. 5 when they travel to Brooklyn College.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

The NYU men’s swimming and diving team completed the first two days of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Winter Invitational on Friday, Dec. 1 and Saturday, Dec. 2 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

After the first day, the Violets were in third place with 110 points. Individually, CAS freshman Peyton Lucas placed second in the 1,650-yard freestyle, earning himself a NCAA “B” cut with a time of 16:09.56. SPS senior Ian Rainey also got a NCAA “B” cut and set an NYU team record for his 200-yard IM time of 1:28.74. Gallatin senior Adam Betts also made a “B” cut with his 100-yard backstroke time of 50.25.

On the diving board, SPS junior Connor Brisson won the three-meter dive with a score of 390.5.

After the second day, Saturday, Dec. 2, the Violets moved up to second place, having accumulated 732 points, behind only host MIT.

Individually, Stern senior Tim Kou won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 55.50, making him one of the four NYU swimmers to place in the top five. Rainey produced top finishes in both the 200-yard butterfly and the 400-yard IM with times of 1:47.63 and 3:53.79 respectively, and Stern senior Chad Moody won the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 48.86.

In diving, Brisson dominated the one-meter event with a score of 338.35.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The NYU women’s swimming and diving team also competed the first two days of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Winter Invitational on Friday, Dec. 1 and Saturday, Dec. 2 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After the first day, the team was in second place with 140 points, which was only one point behind the leader, Tufts University.

Nursing sophomore Jaime Robinson won the 1,650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:05.27, and CAS junior Grace Wakabayashi took second place with a time of 17:08.52. The two both earned NCAA “B” cuts.

In diving, CAS sophomore Carmen White earned a fourth-place finish in the one-meter dive with a score of 277.35.

The Violets maintained their rank after their second day of competing, totaling 687.5 points and are behind only MIT. CAS freshman Sydney Catron took first in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 151.86., while CAS junior May Li earned the Violets a victory in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 56.41.

In diving, White took third place in the three-meter event with a score of 227.00.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 4 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].