Celebrating the Year of the Dog in Style

via wikimedia.org

Lunar New Year Parade in Chinatown. (via Wikimedia)

Sherry Yan, Staff Writer

The Lunar New Year, one of the most important holidays for China and other Asian nations, kicks off on Friday, Feb. 16. Chinatown and other neighborhoods in New York City are hosting many festive events for the new year, so keep your eye out for these upcoming celebrations.

Ring in the new year with a bang by going to the New Year’s Day Firecracker Ceremony & Cultural Festival on Feb. 16, hosted by Better Chinatown USA. Fireworks are essential to celebrating the new year, since the loud bangs are meant to ward off evil spirits. It takes place at Sara D. Roosevelt Park on Grand Street at noon. Afterwards, you can experience a lively festival featuring lion dances, drumming, dance performances, giveaways and delicious food.

If you are sensitive to smoke, attend the Lunar New Year Parade and Festival instead, which will be held on Feb. 25. The parade will start at the intersection of Mott and Canal Street at 1 p.m., then cross East Broadway toward the Manhattan Bridge and finish on Grand Street near Sara D. Roosevelt Park. The streets will be bustling with elaborate floats, marching bands, diverse performances — including traditional lion and dragon dances — magicians and acrobats. Make sure to hit up the food vendors selling delicious Asian snacks such as pork buns and rice cakes.

New York City Lunar New Year Committee is presenting a series of events from Feb. 13 to 20. With the theme, Year of Dog, Leap into Happiness, the events will run in many iconic New York City landmarks. The Empire State Building is going to display a light show on Feb. 13 and 15. At Pier 84 on the Hudson River, there will be a free Fireworks Spectacular at 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 14. From Feb. 15 to 19, you can also explore the Fantastic Art China exhibition in the Metropolitan Pavilion.

The free student’s day at the Lobby of David Geffen Hall at Lincoln Center on Feb. 16 is another event to look forward to. Students from the five boroughs will collaborate with China’s Central Academy of Fine Arts, exhibiting the Lunar New Year Scroll. Hundreds of artworks by students will be presented on the scroll, generating a unique fusion of Chinese and American culture.

Food is incredibly important to the Lunar New Year celebration, and many restaurants in New York are going to offer festive specials. Tuome at 536 E. 5th St. will prepare dishes only available on Feb.16 and 17, including spring rolls, lucky long noodles and whole fish dishes. Near the parade route, Xi’an Famous Foods, Spicy Village and Great N.Y. Noodletown are also good places to grab lunch and take a break from the crowds.

Lunar New Year celebrations are happening all across the city, not just in Manhattan. Smaller Chinatowns are located in places like Flushing and Brooklyn, where you will find equally exciting celebrations. No matter how or where you celebrate the new year, make sure you take advantage of all the fun opportunities the city has to offer.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 5 print edition. Email Sherry Yan at [email protected].