Absofacto Proves Star Power at Brooklyn Music Hall

Amelia Reardon

Absofacto performed at Brooklyn Music Hall on Friday, Feb. 16.

Amelia Reardon, Staff Writer

While Absofacto may not yet be a household name, the singer-songwriter sure made a name for himself at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on Friday night. The sounds of the man behind Absofacto, Michigan-based Jonathan Visger, enveloped the sold-out venue.

The audience and Absofacto were symbiotic in energy, dancing with glee and abandon throughout the short set.

He treated the audience to covers like anthem “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High” by Arctic Monkeys –– a unique choice for the alternative, dance pop enigma.

With original music like “Done with Love” and “Endless Summer” off his EP, “Thousand Peaces,” the Brooklyn music hall was filled with the unique sounds of Absofacto –– an unidentifiable genre of upbeat, tropical-esque beats featuring melancholic and intelligent lyrics. He mixes bedroom pop, art rock and electronic music to create a one-of-a-kind atmosphere.

The playful conversation between Absofacto and the crowd was perhaps the most impressive component of his Friday night set. His talent in the studio and affinity for the stage and crowds solidify his star prowess and promising career trajectory.

His final song, “Dissolve,” was the evening’s most recognizable song, as it has over 7 million plays on Spotify. As the song’s first few chords rang out, they were met with massive cheer, and the crowd grew thunderous and quickly recited every lyric back to Absofacto. As the final chords played, Absofacto felt more veteran than novice. His final song’s ability to elicit such impressive decibel levels from the crowd was notable for a first-time New York City show. Though requests of an encore rang through the air, Absofacto had nothing left to play –– but we hope 2018 brings much more.

Check out more from Absofacto here. Email Amelia Reardon at [email protected].