More Hate Symbols Found in Lipton Lounge, Security Cameras to Be Installed

Lipton+Hall+lounge+closed+after+hate+symbols+found+again.+
Lipton Hall lounge closed after hate symbols found again.

Monica Barret

Monica Barret

By Sakshi Venkatraman, News Editor

Lipton Residence Hall’s second floor lounge is closed after hate symbols were discovered today for the third time in three weeks.

According to an email sent to residents by Lipton Residence Hall Director Ben Jones, the symbols were found early this morning, one carved into a wall and another carved into a picture frame.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to WSN that one of the symbols was a swastika. The same source said there are currently no persons of interest being investigated.

In response, NYU is installing security cameras in Lipton’s lounge tomorrow.

“In each circumstance, Public Safety and the NYPD have conducted an investigation,” Jones wrote in his email. “This morning, the bias crime and evidence collection units were in Lipton examining the two new marks. Tomorrow, security cameras will be installed in the lounge.  The lounge will remain locked until the cameras are installed.”

Jones implores anyone who has information about the crime or those responsible to speak to a Resident Assistant, building staff or a member of NYU Department of Public Safety.

“These types of symbols are filled with hate and intimidation,” Jones wrote. “They were placed by someone who did so in a cowardly attempt to impact our community in a negative way. We as a community are better than this, and we need to work together to identify the person or persons responsible.”

All Lipton residents are required to attend floor meetings with their RAs at 10 p.m. tonight to discuss the offensive symbols.

Update Sunday, Feb. 25 —

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Diversity Initiatives Monroe France confirmed at The Governance Council of Minority and Marginalized Students’ general assembly Friday evening that the symbols were swastikas and that the security camera is now active.

Though Lipton initially tried to find the perpetrator through collaboration with the residential community, no one came forward forcing Lipton to install a security camera.

Potential punishments for the perpetrator or perpetrators could range from mandatory education to expulsion, according to France.

This story will be updated as WSN gathers more information. 

Email Sakshi Venkatraman at [email protected] 

Sakshi Venkatraman, News Editor
Sakshi Venkatraman is co-News Editor and a CAS freshman studying journalism and politics. When she’s not in the newsroom, she’s reading conspiracy theories, making Vine references and trying to convince people that we are definitely living in a computer simulation. Follow her on Twitter @sakshi_saroja.