Young Thug Headlines Violet 100 at Terminal 5

Ankita Bhanot, Staff Writer

Donning a patterned white shirt, baggy corduroy pants and his signature brown shades, rapper Young Thug hit the Terminal 5 stage on April 5 for NYU’s annual Violet 100 concert.

Hundreds of NYU students filled the auditorium last Thursday for an exclusive performance by the headliner, who replaced a different performer –– rumored to be Lil Uzi Vert –– after the original concert was canceled. Young Thug performed a diverse array of songs from his 10 studio albums during a set that lasted just under two hours, including well-known hits like “Pick Up the Phone,” “Patek Water,” “Best Friend” and “Digits.”

Terminal 5 transformed into a space that hosted a conglomeration of dancing bodies, flashing neon lights and pounding music as students sang along to Young Thug’s lively performance.

Three up-and-coming musicians were given the opportunity to perform with Young Thug during the show. Chris Hearn, a Steinhardt Music Business senior, was the only NYU student chosen by Program Board to open for Young Thug’s set. Rapping under his stage name Ceezar, Hearn showcased three original songs in front of the crowd. Despite performing before an acclaimed rapper, Hearn was excited rather than nervous before the show.

“On stage, I felt like I was experiencing everything like it was augmented reality,” Hearn told WSN. “I felt everything so intensely. Each breath, each step, the energy from the crowd. Everything was just intensified, and it felt like it happened in fast forward.”

Valee, a 28-year old Chicago rapper, and Comethazine, a St. Louis teen consistently trending on SoundCloud, were selected as the two other openers. Each artist delivered an energetic performance that captured the crowd.

The concert was jointly organized by NYU’s Student Government Assembly and Program Board. Young Thug’s performance was made possible by both organizations’ extensive contacts within the New York City music business scene.

Originally scheduled for February but canceled due to scheduling conflicts, the Violet 100 concert was finally confirmed by PB Treasurer Taylor Reed and SGA’s council to feature Young Thug. Previous years’ performers have included 21 Savage, The Internet and Future.

Jayasree Kandasamy, a CAS junior, felt Young Thug was the most suitable choice for a crowd of NYU students approaching the end of the school year.

“This was the perfect way for us to enjoy ourselves before finals begin,” Kandasamy said. “Young Thug is loved in New York City. Terminal 5 is a prominent venue and many NYU students love hip-hop, so this couldn’t have gone better.”

Email Ankita Bhanot at [email protected].