Second Member of Langone Community Takes Own Life

Five+days+after+a+fourth-year+student+was+found+dead+in+her+dorm%2C+a+psychiatry+resident+is+believed+to+have+reported+suicide+on+Sunday.+
Five days after a fourth-year student was found dead in her dorm, a psychiatry resident is believed to have reported suicide on Sunday.

Lily Xing

Lily Xing

By Jemima McEvoy, Editor-in-Chief

Only five days after fourth-year radiology student Andrea Liu was found dead in her dorm room, another member of the NYU Langone Medical School community died by what is believed to be suicide on Sunday.

The psychiatry resident, whose name has not yet been made public, reportedly died over the weekend. However, unlike Liu, who was found in an NYU residence hall in Kips Bay housing Langone graduate students, the psychiatry resident died off-site, according to a statement from the medical school to Refinery29. The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding her death.

This suicide closely follows Liu’s death which took place shortly before 11 a.m. on Tuesday. The 26-year-old student, who was on track to graduate this year, was found hanging from a rope in her dorm room. Police were called and a suicide note was found on scene.

Langone has responded to these deaths by offering counseling and support services for students, faculty and staff.

“We were saddened to learn of the recent deaths of one of our medical students and one of our psychiatry residents, both by suicide,” a spokesperson on behalf of Langone told WSN in an email. “On behalf of the institution, we extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends, classmates and colleagues.”

WSN asked Langone if the school was concerned over a trend of suicide among medical professionals and if any larger efforts are being made by the university to prevent future instances, but the Medical school’s response didn’t tackle those questions.

“Because of the sensitive nature of this issue, we will not be commenting further,” the spokesperson said.

WSN will update this story with any developments.

Resources

If you or someone you know is in a similar situation, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the Suicide Crisis Line at 1-800-783-2433.

At NYU, contact the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999 and use Active Minds NYU —a mental health and advocacy group — as a resource.

Update May 10, 2018: This article was originally published with the title ‘Medical School Suffers Second Suicide in Five Days,’ but it has since been changed according to a recommendation from a mental health professional from the University of Pittsburgh.

Email Jemima McEvoy at [email protected].

Jemima McEvoy, Editor-in-Chief
Jemima McEvoy is the Editor-in-Chief for the Washington Square News, as well as a sophomore studying something to do with politics and law in CAS. She’s originally from England, but has been desperately trying to hold on to her accent for the past few years that she has spent living in the USA. During the...
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Second Member of Langone Community Takes Own Life”

1. Kay Ruiz on May 10th, 2018 12:51 am

Feeling sad for the families.

2. John lagoa on May 10th, 2018 2:31 pm

I could only imagine the thoughts that were going through their mind . The pressure to succeed may have gotten to them. Hopefully this will bring about change and better counseling services will be offered. Or at least it should be better advertised to the students and faculty members.

3. Raya on May 10th, 2018 8:31 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the suicides of these young women were triggered by the “system” such as HR. They know exactly how to make you feel insane.

I am still recovering…